True North Advisors was born out of a shared vision of its two founders, Scott Wood and Mark Gehlbach, to offer a dramatically better service in the world of wealth management. Coming from traditional money management firms where advice was tied to the selling of products, they became convinced that trustworthy advice could only be provided to clients through a firm with complete independence, objectivity and the absence of conflicts of interest.
They were convinced that a truly consultative approach would ensure that clients’ needs always come first, focusing solely on their goals so that wealth can be enjoyed as the blessing it should be.
Scott and Mark envisioned a firm and a team of people that would get up every day excited to help people achieve a level of confidence and peace of mind from knowing they are securely on the path to their financial life goals. They envisioned a firm that would be the best at what it does, a place that clients felt comfortable telling their friends about, and where industry professionals would vie for an opportunity to join the team.
Growth Since 2000
Despite opening its doors in one of the worst bear markets in history, the advisory solution that Scott and Mark developed and deliver today at True North Advisors has been well received.
Over the last eleven years, cross-generational families, successful business owners and executives, both young and old in various stages of life have trusted True North with helping them plan and navigate their financial future. True North grew from the $150+ million in client assets initially managed by Scott and Mark to more than 400 clients with over $1 Billion in assets under management. Beyond the metrics, the team and True North has grown in its conviction, experience and commitment about how best to help clients realize their own envisioned future.
- In the Fall of 2005, Charles Schwab & Co. recognized True North Advisors as one of the best-managed advisory firms in the country.
- In October 2006, the Dallas Business Journal ranked True North Advisors as the 12th largest private client institution in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.
- In August of 2008, the Dallas Business Journal ranked True North Advisors among the top eleven financial asset managers in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.
- In November 2008, Investment News acknowledged True North Advisors as one of the top 50 fee-only advisors in the country, ranked by growth in discretionary assets under management.
- In June 2009, True North was named 74th on the Forbes Top 100 Advisors list for fee-only Financial Advisors.
- In July 2009, Wealth Manager Magazine recognized True North Advisors as the 150th ranked Wealth Manager in the country among the Top 500 based on asset managed per client.
- In August 2009, Barron’s named True North in the Top 100 Independent Financial Advisors in the country, based on assets, revenues and quality of the firm’s practices.
- In August 2009, Scott Wood is named a Texas Monthly Five Star Wealth Manager.
- In July 2010, True North Advisors was named #21 on the Dallas Business Journal list of the largest wealth management companies in North Texas.
- In 2010, Scott Wood and Mark Gehlbach are named to the Top Wealth Managers list in D Magazine and Mike Anderson is named to the Best Financial Planners list in D Magazine.
- In July 2010, Financial Advisor Magazine ranks True North Advisors #79 out of 456 firms in total assets.